Poem's and Poet's Names -Book III

Image
  Poems & Poets of Book III   1. The Rain by William Henry Davies 2. Night Mail by Wystan Hugh Auden 3. Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now by Alfred Edward 4. O Where are You Going? by  Wystan Hugh Auden 5. In the street of the Fruit Stalls by Stall Worthy 6. A Sindhi Woman by Jan Stallworthy 7. Times from Ecclesiastes by some unknown poet   8. Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley 9. The Feed by Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi 10. the Hollow Men Thomas Stearns Eliot 11. Leisure by Williama Henry Davies 12. Rubai'yat by Allama Muhammad Iqbal 13. A Tale of two cities by John Peter 14. My Neighbour Friend Breathing His Last! by Bullah Sha & Translated by Abdur Rauf Luther 15. He Came to Know Himself by Sachal Sarmast 16. God's Attributes by Jalaluddin Rumi & Translated by Dr. Nicholson 17. The Delight Song by Navarree Scott Momday 18. Love-an Essence of All Religions by Jalaluddin Rumi & Translated by Dr Nicholson 19. A Man of Words Not of Deeds by Charles Perrault & Transla

A blessing in Disguise that taught me a lot Ch 16 - Towards the Final Destination by Masood Sadiq

16| A Blessing in Disguise that Taught me a lot

Nobody welcomes misfortunes in his scheduled way of life, yet they do occur and keep teaching us the most valuable lessons that remain as shields throughout our onward journey of life. It is a fact that we are unable to appraise the innumerable blessings that God has bestowed upon us. We are unable to taste the real worth of safety without facing any calamity.  We cannot help undergoing these unusual happenings around us. None of us can control such circumstances to avoid any accident, which is scheduled by the supreme power for us. 

One day early in the morning I was on my way to deliver my first lecture very comfortably. I had no hurry because I would reach the class in time. There was no crowd and traffic was going on smoothly. I couldn't expect any mishaps anywhere. Mostly we observe the accidents on the road,  thinking that they don't belong to us. However, we become a spectacle for others.  Once I happened to be there where a man and an approaching bike got entangled with me. 

Click here to read Ch 1"An Adventure with Puppies"

I was driving at the normal speed when suddenly, I was hit by that man who stood watching another bike passing by.  He totally overlooked me and stepped immediately onto the road Unfortunately, at the same time, I was also watching the bike that was coming from the opposite direction. The moment it passed nearby me, the man at once stepped on the road just before my bike and struck so violently to my head, resultantly it made my forehead bleed. Though I was wearing my helmet, it struck so hard on the screen that I got a cut just nearby my eyebrows. The vein got damaged and the blood started gushing from my forehead.  First I couldn't realize how much damage I had got! 

Thank God my eyes were quite safe and intact. The person who got stuck with me was quite safe. One of the passersby saw me and told me about the severity of my wound. I tied a piece of cloth to the bleeding spot and reached college. At the gate, I informed the guard that I was going to the hospital to get my wound stitched from the hospital nearby. 

In the hospital, there was an attendant who directed me to purchase some necessary bandages for stitches. In the operating theatre, the assistant surgeon and one nurse with their faces concealed behind masks were attending me. An overhanging light was pricing into my eyes and I was a bit worried about stitching. The surgeon consoled me about my eyes and felt relieved. I could only smell noxious fumes of medicines in the operating room. Until one experiences it firsthand, one cannot fathom how awful these smells can be. They are 100 times worse than what we encounter out in the world. I am talking of excrement and wound odours like burned or necrotizing flesh. Really awful! However, it was not much like that.

Click here to attempt Comprehension Passage No 3

As he opened the packing of stitching packet,  it made me remember the pang of my youngest daughter who once got her wound stitched that was on her cheek. She was struck by the handle while playing with her siblings a few years ago. During the surgery, he talked about my profession and I told him how I spent my day. He also told me about the utility of my medical provisions and that they could only be availed if I got admitted to the hospital because  ODPs (outdoor patients) are not entitled to any provisions. After half an hour I came out of the operating theatre and met with one of my colleagues. I thanked him for his offering me to drop home. I was able to drive my bike. So I did it. 

After half an hour, I was released and informed the office in college about my accident and reached home. I also got a medical leave for three days.

Reaching home I was a bit happy that I could avail myself of the opportunity to read some books I had had. During the bed rest, I could read only one book, "The Unexpected Universe",  by Loren Iesele, and went to college on the third day. After one week or so my wound healed up and I got my stitches out. This incident dawned on me that "a man doesn't realize the worth of safety from misfortune unless he has tasted it." We are really unable to realize the worth of the myriad blessings that God has bestowed upon us.  We become very gloomy whenever we face failures in our life. We can't judge the blessing of that facility which comes through our misfortune.  It only occurs when we are unable to realize in some mayhem of disaster until we are unable to visualize 

Ref: Gulistan Sa'di -Book I 

Attempt the following questions given below:



1. What man is unable to appreciate?    


ANSWER= (C) 
Explanation: Life seems to fly away from one's hand and one cannot do anything to control it. 

2. What was the time of the day when this accident happened?


     D
ANSWER= (C) 
Explanation: It was in the morning.

3. What is the synonym for 'entangled '?

ANSWER= (C) 
Explanation: intertwine, intertwist, interweave, knot, tangle etc.

5. Why was the writer not admitted to the hospital?      


ANSWER= (B) 
Explanation: Because he was in ODPs.

6. How did the writer spend his sick leaves?  

ANSWER= (D) 
Explanation: by reading some books of his choice.  

7.  What is the wretched reality of the operation theatre?


ANSWER= (B) 
Explanation: The writer was gloomy over the incident 

8. Why could the author not manage his bike?  

ANSWER= (B)
Explanation: How Because he was very close to that person who hit on him. 

9. How were the writer's eyes saved.   




ANSWER= (A)
Explanation: He was wearing a hamlet. 

Click here to learn and attempt a Test of 'since and for'

10.  What is the theme of the passage? 


ANSWER= (C)  
Explanation: A good person never tasks life for granted.

11.  If he had had the money, he ____ another house.  


ANSWER= (C) would have bought
Explanation: If he had had the money, he would have bought another house.

12. You fitter than ____ am.





ANSWER= (C) I 
Explanation: You are fitter than I am. 

To learn more 

Click here to attempt a Test of Singular and Plural Verb

13. She is taller ___ her all sisters. 


ANSWER= (B) than 
Explanation: She is taller than her all sisters.

14. He is the ____ boy in the college. 




ANSWER= (B) tallest
Explanation: He is the tallest boy in the college.

15. She is ____ prettier than her aunty.




ANSWER= (D) None of them
Explanation: She is prettier than her aunty.

16. She is the ____ of the three girls.  





ANSWER= (B) most intelligent
Explanation: She is the most intelligent of the three girls. 

17. He feels her attention slipping ____ away from him.  





ANSWER= (D) further and further
Explanation: He feels her attention slipping further and further away from him.

Click here to learn the SIX BASIC RULES for correction

18. This medicine is ___ ideal than that. 





ANSWER= (B) None of them
Explanation: This medicine is ideal. This is an ideal medicine. 
(Absolute adjectives, supreme, universal, ideal, perfect, unique, complete, full, entire, matchless, preferable need no modifiers)

19. This town is preferable ___ that





ANSWER= (C) to 
Explanation: This town is preferable to that.

Click here to attempt a Test of Singular and Plural Verb

20. He is ____ unique teacher in the college. 





ANSWER= (D) a 
Explanation: He is a unique teacher in the college.

21. My mother is ____ happier today.




ANSWER= (B) much
Explanation: My mother is much happier today.

22. The wall is ____ high to jump.  


    very 

ANSWER= (B) too
Explanation: The wall is too high to jump. 

23. Hard work and perseverance never ___ waste.





ANSWER= (D) go
Explanation: Hard work and perseverance go waste. 

24. The wall is ___ high to jump. 





ANSWER= (A) too
Explanation: The wall is too high to jump.  

25. Children always  ____ to work in time. 





ANSWER= (B)  go
Explanation: Children always go to work in time.

26. We are ___ tired.





ANSWER= (C) very
Explanation: We are very tired. 

27. He ___ too tired to walk. 





ANSWER= (C) too 
Explanation: He is too tired to walk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem's and Poet's Names -Book III

Towards the Final Destination

How to Make the Best Use of the Opportunity