Poem's and Poet's Names -Book III

Image
  Poems & Poets of Book III   1. The Rain by William Henry Davies 2. Night Mail by Wystan Hugh Auden 3. Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now by Alfred Edward 4. O Where are You Going? by  Wystan Hugh Auden 5. In the street of the Fruit Stalls by Stall Worthy 6. A Sindhi Woman by Jan Stallworthy 7. Times from Ecclesiastes by some unknown poet   8. Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley 9. The Feed by Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi 10. the Hollow Men Thomas Stearns Eliot 11. Leisure by Williama Henry Davies 12. Rubai'yat by Allama Muhammad Iqbal 13. A Tale of two cities by John Peter 14. My Neighbour Friend Breathing His Last! by Bullah Sha & Translated by Abdur Rauf Luther 15. He Came to Know Himself by Sachal Sarmast 16. God's Attributes by Jalaluddin Rumi & Translated by Dr. Nicholson 17. The Delight Song by Navarree Scott Momday 18. Love-an Essence of All Religions by Jalaluddin Rumi & Translated by Dr Nicholson 19. A Man of Words Not of Deeds by Charles Perrault & Transla

First Incredible Shock of my life- Ch 19 - Towards the final Destination by Masood Sadiq

19| First Incredible Shock of my life


Read and mark the questions given below:

Death is the bitter fact of life and nobody can deny it. And it is a great a fact of life. Sooner or later everyone has to depart this world after leading the luxurious or miserable days of his life. I hardly got my shave and youth was appearing on my face cuts. The first irrevocable news I got when I was there in Mayo Hospital Lahore was when my father breathed his last. It was when my board result of secondary school was announced. I couldn't see my result. Previously, I had looked after my father when he got his very first heart attack. I was preparing for my board exams. And it was the second heart attack that my father had been undergoing since we left our town. 

Broken Road Leads to Lahore

On the way to the hospital, my father had got more severe attacks and was still unconscious when reached the ICU care. After about half an hour he expired and I was praying for his relief from pain. We reached home before the evening. The dead body was lying in the mid of the courtyard. It was seventh of July and we had to arrange an ice block to keep the body stay normal till the morning. Since then I have been learning and teaching what I have learned to survive in this beautiful world. I started teaching English, Mathematics, and Statistics. It was my survival and did my best to achieve it.

The death of my father gave me a chance to stand on my foot as my mother had a very meagre asset left by my father. She was most concerned with a suitable match for her four daughters. So I had to earn myself if I wanted to study further. I decided to earn to bear my expenses studies. And I got a good start I have already narrated in chapter 9. ( Look before you leap

Great Desire of my Life:

During this course of time, I tried to quit but I couldn't do that. I had had my pocket money to buy books and to pay the tuition fees for college. Though I kept on studying, it took a long time to finish because I was unable to pay full time to my studies. I could not pay full time for my studies which resulted in my failure in the exams again and again. The results could not come up to my expectation. I lost my cherished dream during this survival, too. I was very much interested to choose a profession that required good grades and a lot of hard work to qualify for the entrance examination for the selection of GD Pilot in the National Air Force

Shattered Dreams

All my dreams were dashed to grounds due to my poor board result in the third division. Finally, I decided to study a profession that could bear my expenses. I adopted the teaching profession in order to support myself. The subject, the English language, I chose to study that helped me a lot to survive. Later, I got a chance to teach in a Federal College on an ad-hoc basis which became my mark and supported me a lot in securing other experiences in this profession. The head of the institution was very much fatherly and courteous. He guided me and instilled the professional skills which are required to keep the pace up in pedagogy. I have great regard for him. He was a man capable of looking beneath the surface of things. I owe much to that altruistic man in life. His supervision made him more energetic and optimistic about the challenges of new trials in his onward journey in life.

Click here to read Ch 18 "Love of Homeland"

For the students of ECAT and FUNGAT

1. Where did the writer's father die? 



ANSWER= (A) Myo Hospital
Explanation: He died in Myo Hospital Lahore

2. The dead body was lying in the mid of the courtyard. "lying" is a Transitive or an Intransitive verb?  


     D
ANSWER= (D) Intransitive Verb
Explanation: It is an intransitive verb, and needs no object. 

3. What was the writer's cherished dream?

ANSWER= (C) to become a pilot 
Explanation: The writer wanted to become a pilot

5. What is the synonym of "irrecoverable"?     


ANSWER= (C) irreversible
Explanation: that cannot be changed, irreplaceable, irredeemable, irreparable. 

6. What is the antonym of "survival"?  

ANSWER= (D) expired
Explanation: no more alive, dead, non-existent. 

7.  What is the mood of the writer?


ANSWER= (B) gloomy
Explanation: The writer is very sad about the death of his father.

8. What does the writer want to say in his concluding line of the passage?  

ANSWER= (B) to face the challenges manfully 
Explanation: The writer is optimistic about his onward journey in life. 
 

9. About which profession is the writer talking about in the last passage?  




ANSWER= (B) pedagogy
Explanation: Study of teaching. Archaeology-study of ruins. Phonology-a study of speech sounds. anamorphic-marked by intentional distortion of an image


Click here to attempt a Comprehension Passage No 4 "Effects of Bullying"


10.  Suggest any other suitable title to the passage. 


ANSWER= (B) Will of Supreme Power  
Explanation: Sooner or later everyone is to die and death is a great leveller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem's and Poet's Names -Book III

Towards the Final Destination

How to Make the Best Use of the Opportunity